2018 Year in Review





2018 was an interesting and memorable year for me but I'm glad it's over.

Last June I closed a chapter of my adult life that truly defined who I was, I hung up my beloved Navy uniform that I had worn since the age of 17 (I'm not keen on math in public but if you insist on counting, it represented the last 31 years.)
Image Courtesy of Steve Muth Photography

As I rendered my last salute I was faced with defining what I wanted to be next. No easy task after spending 3 decades doing as I was told.  Little did I realize that my photography which started as a hobby in 2015, was turning into what I now affectionately refer to as my "job-by."

So why not just do that full time, you ask?

Fear.

Plain and simple.

Fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of not being satisfied.

"What would life be like if we had no courage to attempt anything?"                                  -Vincent Van Gogh
While I thought success would look like another steady job in an office, with a commute and benefits, I now realize as I look back at my 2018 client list, my publications and all the wonderful people I've met and photographed that there is more to life than keeping in step and playing it safe.  


Laura Hatcher Photography 2018 Year in Review


I'm the only one holding me back.

Look out 2019, I'm ready to step up my photography game!  Thank you to all those who have shaped, mentored and supported this "job-by" I call photography.  I look forward to the opportunities that lay ahead.




Laura Hatcher is a retired Naval Officer, Mother, Harley Rider and Published Professional Photographer located in Northern Virginia.

Like what you read?  Please hit the "Subscribe" link above to receive future blog posts via your email.

Keep up with Laura's latest photos on Instagram  - Facebook - LinkedIn

Comments