5 Reasons Why I Love Spring




“Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s Party!’”
— Robin Williams

For those of us who live in a place that has the four seasons, what is your favorite one?  I would have to pick Spring.  

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against year round pleasant weather, I grew up in Southern Spain, Central America, California and Hawaii where the weather was not very seasonal.  

But there is something to be said about Spring after a long cold winter.

5 reasons I love Spring:


Five:  I live near DC and every year I make a point of trying to get down to the Tidal Basin for the incredibly beautiful explosion of Cherry Blossoms.  Did you know approximately 1.5 million visitors descend on DC for the three week period that the trees are in bloom? I usually avoid the crowds by arriving well before sunrise on a weekday, but even then I'm tripping over photographers and tripods.




Four:  Once the salt trucks are tucked away for the rest of the year, it safe for the classic car community to emerge from their winter garages.  Four years ago, I adopted my local Alexandria Cars & Coffee club and Spring is the when they start their weekend meet up season.  Of course with this season sometimes comes Spring showers but they've been known to display their cars for a good cause despite the downpour.  In 2016, I photographed a classic car show in the rain for three hours  to help raise money for the local high school graduation class.





"Where flowers bloom so does hope." 
– Lady Bird Johnson

Three: my third favorite thing about Spring is the multitude of beautiful flowers that just scream Spring. Like Tulips, Daffodils, Magnolias and Dogwood.  I'm lucky to actually have all of those blooming in my own yard. Of course my two family members with Spring allergies may beg to differ!




Two: coming in second place is spending time with family on Spring Break!  As my sons get older, we seem to be spending more time visiting college campuses, but it's still quality family time.




One: and the number one reason I love Spring is.....freeing the Harley! (Bet you weren't expecting that!)




"Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."  
     -Ralph Waldo Emerson 



Laura Hatcher is a retired Naval Officer, Mother, Harley Rider and Published Professional Photographer located in Northern Virginia.

Like what you read?  Please hit the "Subscribe" link above to receive future blog posts via your email.

Keep up with Laura's latest photos on Instagram  - Facebook - LinkedIn



Comments