Lincoln and Harley


I'm a Harley Rider.

As such I'm pavlovian... a motorcycle will drive by and immediately my attention is drawn to the sound of the pipes. 

Doesn't matter how engaging your personality or conversation is, more than likely, I'm going to turn my head in the direction of the roaring pipes.  I mean no offense, it's just the way we bikers are wired.

So today was no different when I suddenly heard the roar of over a dozen motorcycles approaching as I was walking in front of the Reflecting Pool and the Lincoln Memorial.

Wait, Harleys revving past Lincoln?  


Suffolk County New York Police Motorcycle Unit lining up in front of Lincoln Memorial

In 1962, President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation which designated May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week in which that date falls as Police Week. 

So this week tens of thousands of law enforcement officers from around the world converged on Washington, DC to participate in a number of planned events which honor those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice.  


Suffolk County Police Motorcycle Unit in front of the Lincoln Memorial

A Navy Veteran from the motorcycle unit and I bonded for a few moments and he told me this particular unit came from Suffolk County, New York to DC to place two of their own "on the wall." 

At the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC, some of the more than 21,000 names of officers who have been killed in the line of duty in the US since 1791 are seen on one of the 304-foot long marble walls.  

As one of the officers pulls out his iPhone to snap their iconic picture, I couldn't resist but to swoop in and offer to take a few more with my own camera. 


Suffolk County Police Motorcycle Unit in front of the Washington Monument


In exchange for my business card,  I was rewarded with a beautiful Suffolk County Police Motorcycle Unit challenge coin. 





Thank you for your service and sacrifice Gentlemen!



  


Laura Hatcher is a retired Naval Officer, Mother, Harley Rider and Published Professional Photographer located in Northern Virginia.

Like what you read?  Please hit the "Subscribe" link above to receive future blog posts via your email.

Keep up with Laura's latest photos on Instagram  - Facebook - LinkedIn

Comments