Tell Me How You Really Feel...



Client:   "I don't take good pictures!"

Me:  "Well then it's a good thing I'm the photographer!"


As you can imagine, I've heard every reason why you don't want to step in front of a camera. And I get it, I am the last person who feels comfortable when someone else's camera is around.

After opening my photography studio in the heart of Old Town, Alexandria, VA,  I quickly realized I was becoming the friendly building crossing guard. I spent more time directing confused customers to the neighboring restaurants and businesses.  

No one ever walks into a photography studio and says, "Do you have time for a headshot?"  This is why I operate by appointment only.

Sure there are plenty of places you could "drive through" to get a decent headshot, but part of looking and feeling good in front of the camera comes with the preparation and connecting with your photographer.

Before you and I ever meet, I have sent you a detailed email telling you how to find the studio, how to decipher Old Town's confusing parking street signs, and how to prepare for your headshot session.

 



Client:  "I'm not photogenic."

Me:  "Then you are implying I'm a bad photographer!"


Once you do step into my cozy studio, and it is cozy, that's when the magic starts. 

Whether we've known each other for two minutes or two decades, it's my job to make you feel at ease and forget about that camera.

So how do I do that?

I'm drawing on my military training.  No don't worry, I won't be placing you in the leaning rest or "bracing" you against the "bulkhead."

Whenever I wanted someone (a peer, subordinate or boss) to do something or follow my lead, I typically would explain the "why."

There's a time to direct people to perform a task and there's a time to collaborate and get buy in. 

I use a combination of both in my studio.

After all, if you read my last blog post, you would know it takes us 1/10 of a second to form a first impression of a stranger; so this picture needs to be the best version of you.

If you feel like you are part of the process, the results are that much better.

During a headshot session with me this is what you can expect:

- laughter (my corny jokes are endless).

- to understand the difference between a fake and genuine smile.

- what your "good side" really is.

- to see and love the headshot(s) before you leave the studio.

- that you are photogenic and do take great pictures! 

Do you need a headshot?  Schedule yours today!





Laura Hatcher is a retired Naval Officer, Mother, Harley Rider and Published Professional Photographer located in Northern Virginia.  Her Studio is on 218 North Lee Street, Alexandria, VA 22314.


Like what you read?  Please hit the "Subscribe" link above to receive future blog posts via your email.


Keep up with Laura's latest photos on Instagram  - Facebook - LinkedIn


Comments

Post a Comment