2021 Year in Review


“Of this I am certain, that if we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future.” ― Winston S. Churchill

As each year comes to a close, I like to reflect on how far my small business journey has come.  Some days I feel like I'm making this up as I go along; there really isn't a manual on how to be a successful business woman.  Yes, I know there is plenty of advice, plenty of resources, even degrees you can get, but until you walk down the path for while, it's hard to truly understand what success looks like.  

Some define success in terms of revenue, others in terms of the number of clients and I imagine there are many other definitions of success if you were to ask different people.

My definition of success as a professional photographer is really a series of questions I ask myself: is my photography work consistent?  Does it evoke emotion? Did I enjoy myself? Did I learn something new? Did I help or inspire anyone?  Is the client happy? (Okay, so I have high standards for myself!)

Not only do I write a blog post that summarizes the year, but I review my business plan and social media strategy to see what worked and what didn't, and then adjust accordingly.

At first 2021 seemed like an extension of 2020, but based on all the events I documented, the world did gradually venture back out to large gatherings.   I supported sixteen events during the year.

In 2021 sixteen events were documented


My favorite events to photograph will always be my fellow Veteran Brothers and Sisters' retirement ceremonies, and I had the privilege of attending three this year, as opposed to only one in March 2020, just as we started locking down for the Pandemic.

The event that highlighted this year, however and pushed me way beyond my comfort zone both technically and physically was my epic drive across the country, following over 20 women motorcycle riders from Portland, Oregon to Arlington, Virginia. I took over 10, 000 images and several hours of video, using two Nikon cameras, a drone, a go-pro and my cell phone. This epic trip obviously can't be summed up with just one image, so I wrote an entire blog post about it called:  Captain's Travel Log: Ride Across America. Note I was in an SUV packed with gear and a sixteen year old son, while the subjects rode their motorcycles.

A picture of a chopper in South Dakota


The mainstay of my photography business is my headshot studio located at 218 North Lee Street in Old Town, Alexandria, VA. I signed on to another year's lease this past October, so it's probably a safe bet that this business line will continue.  I continue to attract professionals looking to update their LinkedIn or business websites, and the majority of my clients are transitioning Veterans, many of whom I served for, and with.  I photographed over 100 headshots in 2021, which is over 2.5 times as many as last year (pictured below are those who gave me permission to release their images.)


2021 Headshots



One niche I've decided to stop photographing in the New Year is family portraits. I thoroughly enjoyed the few that I did this year, but I found myself booking more personal and business branding clients than families.


2021 Family Portraits


As I mentioned above, this year I expanded my business branding portfolio with a few new clients, to include Texas A&M The Bush School of Government and Public Service, ALX Community, Focus Data Solutions and a few local small businesses. My goal is to explore this niche more in 2022.

2021 Business/Personal Branding Clients


Throughout the year I had a few publications that I contributed to, to include one motorcycle-related book cover, the Washington Post, the Naval Academy's Alumni Magazine (Shipmate), VIP Alexandria Magazine, and Alexandria's Zebra Press. I also received three Veteran Business-related awards from the Virginia Department of Veteran Affairs, Woman's Program Office (2021 Trailblazer Award); the Alexandria Small Business Development Center (Veteran of the Year); and the Virginia Small Business Development Center (Runner-up, Veteran of the Year).


2021 Press & Awards

Lastly, I joined the instructor ranks of Capital Photography Center.  I wrote curriculum for two classes that I will teach in the New Year. The classes are 'The Workflow of the Professional Headshot' and 'How to be a Photography Business Owner.'  At this point, I feel like it's time to pay it forward with all that I continue to learn about being a small business woman.

Capital Photography Center Bio


Well that's a wrap!  It was a busy year and I look forward to what next year has in store for Laura Hatcher Photography.


Laura Hatcher is a retired Naval Officer, Mother, Harley Rider and Published Professional Photographer located in Northern Virginia.  Her Studio is on 218 North Lee Street, Alexandria, VA 22314.

Like what you read?  Please hit the "follow" link above to receive future blog posts via your email.


Keep up with Laura's latest photos on Instagram  - Facebook - LinkedIn - Website


Comments

  1. Laura, this is awesome! So happy to see you are showing more of the world your talent, energy and little different way of seeing things. It's only going to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work, Laura--gorgeous photos all around!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, you continue to serve and inspire, it's an honor and privilege to follow along! Congratulations on an outstanding year of success! May 2022 be your greatest year yet. -Dustin Stitt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, your end-of-year wrap-up was incredible and exhilarating. I love that you've taken your Harley passion to new heights with your recent trip following motorcycle riders across the country. An exciting and fulfilling project for you, I imagine. It is terrific to see how much you've accomplished in one shorty year and how consistent you've been delivering your work and gaining visibility among new and established clients. I admire you and your professionalism. I wish you only the best of success as 2022 brings you exciting new ventures in the land of photography!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I appreciate your thoughtful feedback and wish you the same positive blessing for you in your New Year.

      Delete
  5. Laura, the passion, energy, and professionalism you bring to your work is inspiring! What a fantastic contribution you are making to our community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan! Happy New Year and thank you for your kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment