Game On, It's a New Year!


Photo Courtesy of Randy Jennings
Capturing "The Dusk of H Street" Mural

Yesterday was New Year's Day.  For those of us who make resolutions (I don't) or goals (I do) then the best advice I've heard is to start them right away, otherwise the longer you wait the less likely it is you will ever start.
“Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone”   - Pablo Picasso
What better way to "step up my photography game" as I discussed in my 2018 Year in Review post, then to participate in a New Year's Day Photo Walk with some fellow DC street photographers?!

Gary Crisp, Huntington Station
So I started my trek from the DC Metro Huntington Station, which is the first stop on the yellow line. Since the Metro was operating on a holiday schedule, my timing was a little off and I missed my train by a minute or so.

As a street photographer, as long as I have my camera, time is my playground.  And that's how I met Mr. Gary Crisp.  

Now how did I get him to come out of his glass kingdom and smile at my camera, you ask?  [knock, knock] "Did I just miss my train?"  Now this may have been a ploy to engage, but I'm glad it worked.  Gary has worked for DC Metro for over 20 years, in the 15 extra minutes I earned from missing the train we discussed life as a Metro employee. I asked if I could take his picture to which he responded "I don't take good pictures," to which I remarked, "then you are implying I'm not a great photographer."  

As I always do, I handed him my business card and he asked what kind of Harley I rode (my cards read "Veteran, Harley Rider, Photographer").  Through this exchange I learned that Gary has a motorcycle license too, re-news it every year for the last ten years, but he's yet to buy a bike!  I almost felt bad when I was forced to tell him there were two Harleys in my garage.  Thank you for your service Gary, it was a pleasure meeting you and by the way, keep smiling and go buy that Harley, it's a New Year!


Holiday Travelers With Weird and Scary Luggage
I made my way down to Union Station, and since my motto is "early is on time, and on time is late," I still had 20 minutes to spare before I met up with the Photo Walk Group.  Since I just spent the last 7 months commuting this very route to Union Station, I was not optimistic that I could take any different pictures in the Station.  But that's the beauty of street photography, as Forrest Gump's mother told him "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."  And the Station didn't disappoint during what appeared to be a busy travel day.



The Photo Walk was great and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting fellow photographers. It's an opportunity to mentor, network and be inspired by the collective talent, personalities and ideas.  It's also the only time someone wants to take a picture of me with my camera!

Photo Courtesy of Miki Jourdan
Taking a picture of a mural in a DC alleyway near H Street


If you are interested in seeing what I captured during my New Year's Day Photo Walk in and around Union Station and the H Street Corridor, check out the Photo Walk Gallery (this link takes you to the Laura Hatcher Photography Website).

Remember make those New Year Resolutions or Goals and then execute!

“My mother always told me I wouldn't amount to anything because I procrastinate. I said, 'Just wait.' ” ― Judy Tenuta


Laura Hatcher is a retired Naval Officer, Mother, Harley Rider and Published Professional Photographer located in Northern Virginia.

Like what you read?  Please hit the "Subscribe" link above to receive future blog posts via your email.

Keep up with Laura's latest photos on Instagram  - Facebook - LinkedIn

Comments