Waiting for Ubers, Tigers and Fishermen


"If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life"      -Oscar Wilde

There are numerous composition techniques that photographers use to draw a viewer's attention to an image.  One of my favorites is called "leading lines."  Basically a leading line in a photograph pulls your eye into, or leads you to the main subject of the image.

Last week I was in Waikiki, Hawaii for a brief business trip (yes, I know, it's crazy, in my last blog post, I was briefly in Germany.)  I was looking for a good vantage point to capture sunrise, but since Waikiki Beach faces west, sunrise is a challenge because it's obscured by mountains and Diamond Head in the east.

Once I realized this and the fact that sunrise was looking "meh" (as my teenagers always say),  I turned my attention to a pier that I knew would give me great leading lines, especially since there was a gentlemen standing at the very end that I could focus on.


Capturing Leading Lines at a Waikiki Beach Pier

One of the exciting aspects of my street photography is when I get to hear a backstory or meet a new face.  I typically take an image and if it's appropriate, I'll offer to send the picture to my subject by handing him/her a business card.

And that's how I met Doug.  I was very curious as to why Doug was standing at the end of the pier for so long, almost as if he was waiting for an Uber.  Well it turns out, that's exactly what Doug was doing, metaphorically of course.  

Doug is the proud father of two Veterans, one Marine Corps (son) and the other Navy (daughter).  He was waiting for his daughter's ship, USS ESSEX (LHD 2) to arrive in Pearl Harbor on their way home to San Diego, CA after an eight month deployment.  You can just see her ship making its approach over Doug's right shoulder.

  Doug Waiting for the USS ESSEX in Waikiki


He and other Navy family members flew to the Hawaiian Islands to meet the warship, so they could sail back to California with its crew.  This is known in the US Navy as a "Tiger Cruise" and is a wonderful opportunity for family members to see our Navy (and their Sailors) in action.  Two of my three sons, participated in such a cruise when I was stationed on the USS GWH BUSH (CVN-77) and they still talk about it.

Needless to say, I didn't get any great sunrise shots, but it was a pleasure to meet Doug and chat about his experiences raising children who selflessly serve our nation. I was also able to enlighten him a bit about what his daughter may be doing, having experienced sea duty myself.


 Panoramic View of Waikiki & Diamond Head From the end of the Pier

Later, this same pier drew me back for sunset, and it didn't disappoint.  I captured two women fishing at the end of the pier, their silhouettes were so captivating against the beautiful horizon.  And yes, like Doug, one of them now has my business card.

     Silhouette of two Female Fishermen 


I was also excited to see my evening leading lines led to a spectacular sunset, unlike that morning's results.  Aloha!



The Same Waikiki Beach Pier at Sunset


"Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Want to see more street photography from my quick trip to Hawaii, check out the Hawaii "Street" Photography 2019 Gallery (this link will take you to my Laura Hatcher Photography website.)


Want to learn more about the USS Essex Tiger Cruise? Check out this "Times of San Diego" Article


Laura Hatcher is a retired Naval Officer, Mother, Harley Rider and Published Professional Photographer located in Northern Virginia.

Like what you read?  Please hit the "Subscribe" link above to receive future blog posts via your email.

Keep up with Laura's latest photos on Instagram  - Facebook - LinkedIn

Comments